Fire Safety Inspector Certification
“Fire safety inspector” means an individual certified by the chief executive officer of the State Board of Emergency Medical, Fire and Transportation Services pursuant to section 4765.55 of the Revised Code and Chapter 4765-20 of the Administrative Code to perform fire safety inspector duties as set forth in Chapter 3737 of the Revised Code.
Certification is required by section 3737.34 of the Ohio Revised Code.
Course Entrance Requirements
Prior to admission into a fire safety inspector course, an individual shall meet all of the following requirements:
- Possess a current firefighter certificate issued under section 4765.55 of the Ohio Revised Code and 4765-20 of the Ohio Administrative Code that is in good standing
- Shall be employed by one of the following:
- The office of the state fire marshal
- A firefighting agency as defined in division (A)(3) of section 9.60 of the Revised Code
- A private fire company as defined in division (A)(5) of section 9.60 of the Revised Code that is providing fire protection in accordance with division (B), (C), or (D) of section 9.60 of the Revised Code
- Successfully complete a fire safety inspector training course through a chartered fire training program and receive a document of course completion for a certificate of fire safety inspector training
- Pass the knowledge and practical examinations as set forth in rule 4765-20-06 of the Ohio Administrative Code
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have not been convicted of any felony, a misdemeanor committed in the course of practice or a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude
- Have not committed fraud, misrepresentation, or material deception in applying for or obtaining a certificate issued under section 4765.55 of the Ohio Revised Code
- Successfully complete the following Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) training courses:
- National incident management system course IS-700
- Incident command system course IS-100 or online equivalent
Ohio Administrative Code: 4765-20-03
An initial Fire Safety Inspector application may not be submitted until you have completed all course requirements and have been approved to take the state certification examination. Upon successful completion of the certification examination conducted at an Ohio chartered fire training program, you will automatically be directed to the application for certification. Do not close out of the examination site until you have completed and submitted the application.