Division of Emergency Medical Services
The Ohio Department of Public Safety Division of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) is the “administrative arm” of the State Board of Emergency Medical, Fire and Transportation Services. The executive director for the Division of Emergency Medical Services serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the Board.
The Division of EMS is responsible for:
- Certification of all emergency medical service and fire service providers in the state of Ohio and certification of fire and EMS instructors;
- Accreditation and chartering of fire and EMS training institutions and approval of EMS continuing education sites;
- Collection and analysis of EMS incident data;
- Coordination of the EMS for Children (EMSC) program; and
- Regulation of medical transportation services (air medical, ambulance, MoICU, and ambulette).
In addition, the Division serves as the “lead agency” for the state’s trauma system.